What is employee engagement?
Employee engagement is the strength of the mental and emotional connection employees feel toward the organization that they work for, their team, and their work.
How do we measure engagement?
Our employee engagement survey contains two types of items: engagement outcomes and cultural diagnostics.
Engagement outcomes are at the core of how we measure employee engagement. They help reveal the current state of employee engagement within organizations. Outcomes are not actionable because they are targets that organizations should strive to maintain or enhance.
Cultural diagnostics help us figure out what can be done to positively influence employee engagement. They provide us with what actions can maintain or enhance those outcomes.
Our model of engagement measurement focuses on three factors each containing three engagement outcomes.
Answers the question: How connected am I to my work?
We examine how employees feel about their individual tasks, looking at areas like motivation and immersion.
- Inspiration: I am inspired by the work we do.
- Immersion: I find my work engaging.
- Motivation: My work motivates me.
Answers the question: How connected am I to my immediate coworkers?
We look at how employees use their discretionary effort or to what extent they feel part of their team.
- Discretionary Effort: My immediate coworkers consistently go the extra mile to achieve great results.
- Commitment: My immediate coworkers are committed to this organization’s overall goals.
- Acceptance: I feel accepted by my immediate coworkers.
Answers the question: How connected am I to the organization as a whole?
We ask questions measuring things like advocacy and pride, diving deep into what makes an employee committed to an organization.
- Advocacy: I recommend this organization as a great place to work.
- Pride: I am proud to work here.
- Intent to Stay: It would take a lot to get me to leave this organization.
Cultural diagnostics help us figure out – at an organizational, team, and job level – what can be done to affect those nine outcomes.
Our Recommended Categories for Cultural Diagnostics:
- Career Growth & Development
- Communication & Resources
- Future Outlook
- Individual Needs
- Manager Effectiveness
- Team Dynamics
- Trust in Leadership