Getting Started Guides & Toolkits
Surveys & Pulses
Talent Reviews & Succession Planning
Best Places to Work
Survey Title Characters & Export Compatibility
A guide to the special characters used with survey titles that are compatible and incompatible with XLSX & PPTX exports.
In this article:
When entering a survey title, using specific special characters, i.e. &, #, +, etc. can cause an XLSX or PPTX export to fail.
This article details which characters cause exports to fail and which are safe to use.
If the following special characters are used in the survey title, the survey export will fail:
- [ & ] Ampersand
- [ ' ] Apostrophe
- [ # ] Pound or Number Symbol
- [ + ] Plus Symbol
- [ — ] Long dash or Em Dash
- [ > ] Greater-than Symbol
- [ < ] Less-than Symbol
- [ $ ] Dollar Symbol
Safe Characters with Replacements
If the following special characters are used in the survey title, the special characters are replaced with an underscore but the export does not fail.
Example: The survey, 6.7/6.14 - Internship Program, is exported as 6.7_6.14 - Internship Program.xlsx
- [ / ] Forward Slash or Upward Slash
- [ : ] Colon
- [ | ] Pipe Symbol or Vertical Bar
- [ ? ] Question Mark
The following special characters can be used in the survey title with no change to the title or the export:
- [ . ] Period Symbol or Full Stop Symbol
- [ - ] Short Hyphen or En Dash
- [ _ ] Underscore or Low Dash
- [ () ] Parentheses
- [ @ ] At Symbol or An Ampersand