IN THIS ARTICLE:
- What is a Focused Admin?
- Setting Up a New Focused Admin
- How Focused Admin Settings Work
- How Demographic Attributes Stack
- What Focused Admins Can and Can't Do
What is a Focused Admin?
A Focused Admin is an Administrator who is limited to a specific subset of your organization. Let's say your organization has a team of HRBPs managing different regions. By giving them Focused Admin permissions, you're able to permit administration scope to a subset of the organization instead of the entire organization. You can even set up your HR team with Focused Admin permissions to define an administration scope to everyone except the HR team—so that your HR team can uphold confidentiality among your immediate team members.
Setting Up a New Focused Admin
Any top-level client administrator can set up an existing user with Focused Admin permissions. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to Administration (drop-down by your name in top-right corner).
- Click the Users tile.
- Click the Edit button next to the user for whom you want to enable Focused Admin permissions.
- Enable the Administrator permission.
- Click Administator Settings.
- Choose whether you want to limit by Demographics (default) or User's Downline.
- Limit by Demographics. Leaving both of these fields blank, will NOT make this user a Focused Admin.
- Add the demographics to the Include field for which this Focused Admin should have access and visibility.
- Add the demographics to the Exclude field for which this Focused Admin should not have access and visibility (if any).
- Limit by User's Downline:
- Select a user in the Include field to assign that user's downline to the Focused Admin's scope.
- Save your changes.
How Focused Admin Settings Work
These demographic Include/Exclude settings define what is called the administration scope.
Define by Demographics
These demographics define the users for which this Focused Admin should have access and visibility.
These demographics define the users for which this Focused Admin should not have access and visibility. You can leave this field blank if you don't need to exclude anyone.
What if an employee falls into both an Include AND Exclude group?
Think of the settings as going in order: the Include will pull in whatever group(s) you want included, and then the Exclude will remove anyone who has been included but now also exists in an Exclude group.
Define by Downline
A Focused Admin's administration scope can also be defined by any user's downline. (Even the Focused Admin's!) Choose "Limit by User's Downline" to select a user to assign that user's downline to the Focused Admin's scope. Note: this gives the Focused Admin administration access to that user's downline and NOT the user defining the top of the hierarchy. For example, if you enter the head of Marketing in this field, you get everyone in Marketing except the head of Marketing.
After your settings are calculated, you'll see a final user count showing how many users for whom this Focused Admin has administrator access. You can click on the count to see a list of users that fall under the scope. Use this to verify the list of expected administration scope.
How Demographic Attributes Stack
To see who which users fall under the settings you've defined, click the "x Users" link. When adding demographics, here are some rules to keep in mind:
- if you select multiple attributes within the same group (like Department:Sales and Department:Technology) then the query includes all employees in Sales OR Technology.
- if you select multiple attributes across demographics (like Department:Sales + Location:Boston) then the query includes employees in BOTH Sales AND Boston.
- if you select a mix like Department:Sales + Department:Technology + Location:Boston, you'll include employees who are in Sales OR Technology AND Boston.
What Focused Admins Can and Can't Do
Focused Admins CAN… *
- General Settings: Moderate flagged Recognition/Goal posts.
- Create Organizational or Team goals.
- Review, edit, and delete all of the following:
- Goals—even Restricted goals—if an employee within their administration scope is either the Owner or a Contributor of the goal, the Focused Admin will be able to edit the goal.
- Feedback cycles for employees within their administration scope who are Feedback recipients
- 1-on-1 conversations for any users within their administration scope who are answering the the Employee topics.
- Responses to Attributed Surveys
- Roll-up Analytics for Usage, Recognitions, Feedback Cycles, 1-on-1 Cycles, and Surveys.
- Launch Single Cycles for:
- Receive instant cycle notifications for any cycle type (including Automated Cycles), but they only receive notifications that pertain to their administration scope.
- Build Templates for Feedback, 1-on-1s, and Pulse—all Admins and Focused Admins have access to each other's Templates.
- Always see users that are down-line, but only in their capacity as a manager. For example, this means a down-line user's 1-on-1 can't be deleted if he/she is not in a Focused Admin's administration scope.
*This refers to their assigned administration scope only. These abilities are not available to Focused Admins for users who do not fall within their Include/Exclude scope settings.
Focused Admins CANNOT…
- Access User Admin.
- This prevents the Focused Admin from expanding their administration scope.
- This prevents the Focused Admin from unexpectedly moving a user in/out of their administration scope.
- Launch or edit automated cycles (this includes automated surveys, automated Feedback cycles, or automated 1-on-1 cycles.)
- Edit Surveys, Feedback cycles, or 1-on-1 cycles that they did not personally launch.
- View Survey Responses submitted via a public survey link
- Manage Scales (e.g. create or edit scales to be used in Surveys, Feedback, or 1-on-1s) —this is available only to top-level Admins.
- Manage Appearance settings—this is available only to top-level Admins.
- Manage Demographics settings—this is available only to top-level Admins.
- Manage Recognition badges—this is available only to top-level Admins.
- Manage Hashtags—this is available only to top-level Admins.