We have consolidated a list of best practice 1-on-1 questions to facilitate healthy discussions between managers and their associates. We recommend 3-5 questions for each review cycle.
What – discussing what results have been achieved and how can we improve
Reviewing past events:
- What accomplishment(s) are you most proud of this year(quarter)?
- What do you think went well this year(quarter)?
- In which area(s) would you like to improve?
- What may have been some things that de-motivate you with your role?
- What things should we do differently?
- What are your goals for the next (six months/year)?
- Do you have the resources and tools you need to perform your job?
- Are there any concerns you have going forward?
- What are the most important goals you have coming up for the year?
- Are there any goals that could be a challenge for you to accomplish this (quarter/year)?
- What types of experiences or interactions do you need this year to be happy with your contribution to our team?
How/Behaviors – discussing how the results were achieved
- How could you be more helpful for others on the team?
- In what ways have you demonstrated our values?
- Which behavior or value do you need to improve or continue to grow?
Development - opening up career path discussions
- What new knowledge or skills do you think you need to develop?
- What do you want your next position at this company to be?
- What would you like to be doing two years from now?
Manager Feedback – building the manager and employee relationship
- What do you think I should do differently next year as your manager?
- What have I done to help you do your job better?
- What have I done to hinder your job performance?
- What are 1 or 2 things I should improve with my management style that would be most helpful to you?
- What can I do to make your job easier?