In this article:
Access Settings give you the option to configure custom roles and assignments to customize survey access to fit your organization's needs.
Navigate to the Access Settings page by clicking Analytics in the left-hand navigation menu followed by Survey & Pulse. Then, find the survey in question and click Analytics in the same row. Finally, once you're seeing the analytics for your survey, click Access Settings in the top-right.
A non-admin user must have these two things to get access to a survey's analytics:
An "Assignment" defines who the user may see. It determines the area of the organization visible to the user — whether it's the entire survey, their own downline, or a branch on an org tree.
There are three types of assignments:
- All Respondents- Provides access to an entire survey and all its org trees.
- Manager Org Tree- Automatically gives managers access to their own downline.
- Custom Org Tree- Complete flexibility to assign any user with any role on any branch of the tree.
A "Role" defines what a user may see or do including which filters, slices, reports, and capabilities are available- including when they have access.
As an admin, you have complete flexibility with roles. You can create custom settings tuned to your unique needs. To streamline this process, every people leader in your organization is automatically given the Manager role.
Every time you launch a new survey, we automatically build a Manager role. All managers in your company are automatically added to this role, and all of the role's filter and slice settings are determined by your General Settings. All of these things can be changed per survey, but this gives you a starting point so you won't need to start from scratch each time.
Create any additional roles you need by clicking Add Role. From there, you can set up new roles as needed- whether it's to provide survey access to your HRBPs, senior leadership or plan a phased rollout of the survey analytics.
The following is an outline of each role setting and what it controls.
- Enable Access - If enabled, this setting activates the role. The Date of Access setting still applies.
- Role Name - Each of a given survey's role names must be unique.
- Date of Access - Set the date and time to control when users get access. The Enable Access setting still applies.
- Send Access Notification - Sends a preset notification at the date and time access is available. See a preview here.
- View Comments - Determines if users should be able to view comments.
- Reply to and Read Replies - Determines if users should be able to reply to comments and read the conversation with the survey participant.
- View Themes - Determines if users should be able to view comment themes. Right now this is always on if "View Comments" is enabled, but the ability to customize this setting is coming soon.
- Edit Themes - Determines if users should be able to add, remove, or change comment themes. Right now, this is always off and only available to admins, but the ability to customize this setting is coming soon.
- Heat Map - Determines if users should be able to view the heat map report Requires the ability to slice by a demographic.
- View Respondents - Determines if users should be able to view the list of respondents for the survey.
- View Respondent Demographics - Determines if users should be able to view the demographic attributes for each respondent. Only the attributes on which the role can filter or slice will be visible.
- Users Can View - Determines the upline access for this role. If you're unsure what level of access to give your users, the default setting is our recommendation.
- Downline Only: The Downline Only option gives users visibility into results for their assignment(s) downline only.
- DEFAULT: Downline and Overall: If you want to specify that users should see the organization's overall results in addition to their assignment(s) downline, keep the default option of Downline and Overall selected. Users will not be able to slice and filter when viewing data for the organization overall.
- Full Upline: If you'd like users to be able to view team results for every branch upline from their assignment(s) and the overall organization in addition to their assignment downline results (without the ability to slice or filter data the upline and overall data), select Full Upline. Users will not be able to slice and filter when viewing data for any level of the organization above their assignment(s) or for the organization overall.
- Manage Users in this Role - Users can be added one at a time or by username. Adding by username allows you to upload a CSV file or copy/paste usernames making it easier to add hundreds of users to a role all at once.
- Filter Settings - Determines which demographic attributes this role can use to filter results.
- Slice Settings - Determines which demographic attributes this role can use to slice results.
As an admin, assignments give you the flexibility you need to give access to specific areas of your organization. Like the Manager role, we streamline this process by automatically assigning every people leader in your organization to their own downline on the Manager Org Tree.
If you're familiar with the old Analyst access, this is the assignment that you're looking for. Assign users to All Respondent if they should have access to the entire survey and all of its org trees.
Manager Org Tree
This is an automated org tree based on the manager hierarchy as it was defined when the survey was launched.
Custom Org Tree(s)
Lists any and all org trees for this survey. This area gives admins complete flexibility to assign any non-admin user with any role on any branch of the tree. Making assignments on a Custom Org Tree is easy. You can read more about Custom Org Trees here.
To make a new assignment, click the Edit icon for the selected branch.
In the search bar, type and click the employee's name. You can then click the Role drop-down to select the employee's new role. Click Save to finalize your Role update.
Request a Custom Org Tree
Submit a request to have us set up a custom org tree that's automatically generated for any future surveys. We can also retroactively generate a custom org tree for a past survey upon request.